Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
These easy and delicious Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are buttery, nutty and chocolaty, just like the best walnut chocolate chip cookies, but in delectable dessert bars!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Bake Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts + 2 tablespoons for the top
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips + 2 tablespoons for the top
Preheat a toaster oven or regular oven to 350 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl cream the butter, brown sugar and salt. Mix on low speed for about a minute, then medium speed for an additional minute.
Add the egg & vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until the egg & vanilla are blended in, then on medium speed for an additional minute. The mixture should be pale yellow in color and a little fluffy.
Add the oats, the first 1/2 cup flour, along with the baking powder and baking soda, and mix on low speed until blended. Continue on low speed, add the remaining flour and blend until it disappears.
Continue on low speed, add 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
Evenly spread the dough into a 9" square pan. Sprinkle the reserved chopped walnuts and chocolate chips and press gently into the dough.
Bake in a preheated toaster oven or regular oven for 20-22 minutes, or until the top is light golden brown. Don't overbake, these bars are best when they're a little soft and gooey.
Cool slightly before cutting into bars and enjoy!
- Adding the baking powder and baking soda with the oats and the first 1/2 cup of flour ensures they are well incorporated and eliminates sifting the dry ingredients.
- Store cooled cookie bars in an airtight container.
Calories: 246kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 165mg | Potassium: 128mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.5mg