I recently shared a recipe for my Luscious Coconut Lemon Bars. It was so popular here on My Sweet Mission, and I needed to make some dessert bars for a wedding dress rehearsal dinner, so I decided to make a batch of my Sweet and Tart Lemon Bars. They turned out awesome! The process is the same as my Luscious Coconut Lemon Bars and I think these sweet and tart little bars are a sensation you’ll definitely want to make again and again.
A delicate buttery shortbread crust with a sweet and tart lemon filling, sprinkled with confectioners sugar! These are lemon bar perfection in our book.
For the crust: Put the flour, cold butter (cubed) and the confectioners sugar into a food processor. Pulse for 10-15 seconds, or until the butter is pea-sized.
It should look similar to this.
Pour the crust mixture into a sprayed 9″ x 13″ baking pan.
Tip: Cover with wax paper (to keep it off your hands) and press until even and firm.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.
Note: Crust will not be completely baked.
Whip up the lemon filling ingredients.
Pour the lemon filling mixture over the hot crust. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for another 20-25 minutes, or until the filling doesn’t jiggle.
Cool the bars completely before dusting with confectioners sugar, then cut into bars.
Sweet and Tart Lemon Bars
- 2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, very cold & cubed
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup fresh or concentrated lemon juice, approximately juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
Sprinkling the top:
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the first 3 ingredients into a food processor and pulse for 10-15 seconds, or until the butter is pea-sized. Pour this crust mixture into a sprayed 9" x 13" baking pan. Place a piece of wax paper over the mixture and press until even and firm. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Place the remaining ingredients, except for the powdered sugar, into a mixing bowl. Beat on low until blended and then on medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour the filling over the hot crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the filling doesn't jiggle.
Sprinkling the top:
- Cool the bars completely before dusting the top with powdered sugar, then cut into bars.
Looking for more delicious lemon desserts?
Here are a couple might also enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.