Today I’m sharing a delicious Super Simple Texas Sheet Cake. It’s chocolaty, fudgy but lower in calories and fat too! My last baking tip was about using light mayonnaise instead of vegetable oil, butter or margarine with boxed cake mixes. So, I thought it would be great to share my Super Simple Texas Sheet Cake recipe, using this lower calorie cake tip!
Our Super Simple Texas Sheet Cake is easy to make, because it uses a cake mix. It’s lower in calories, because of the light mayonnaise. But, it’s still a super moist and chocolaty cake, with a nutty fudge frosting!
For the cake: Use the ingredients listed on our recipe, but follow the mixing instructions on the the cake box. Spray a 15″ x 10½” x 2″ baking pan and evenly spread the batter. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
Toothpick Tip: Don’t over bake the cake by waiting until the toothpick comes out clean and dry, it should have some cake particles on it. Over baking cakes can be one of the biggest mistakes in baking.
For the frosting: Make the frosting and spread it over the warm cake. Cool slightly, cut into pieces and serve warm or at room temperature, for a incredibly scrumptious dessert!
Just look at that nutty fudge frosting dripping over the edge of the cake! It looks and tastes so rich and decadent, but it’s lower in calories and fat, because of the light mayonnaise in the recipe.
We hope you try our Super Simple Texas Sheet Cake and enjoy it as much as we do. If you make it, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Super Simple Texas Sheet Cake
- 16.5 ounces Swiss Chocolate or Devil's Food cake mix (1 box)
- 9 tablespoons light mayonnaise (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 3 large eggs
- water, according to the cake box
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 15" x 10 1/2" x 2" baking pan.
- Use the ingredients listed above but make the cake according to the cake box instructions. Pour the batter into a greased pan and smooth evenly.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with small cake particles on it.
- In a medium pan combine the butter, cocoa powder, and milk. Cook over medium heat and stir until melted and dissolved, but not boiling. Remove pan from heat and place on a hot pad. Using a mixer on low speed add the salt, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until completely blended.
- Spread the frosting over the warm cake, then sprinkle the chopped walnuts evenly over the warm frosting.
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!