I have a savory southern meal for you today! John’s family is from the south and for over 50 years his Mom made the best Southern Slow Steaks! Here’s a typical but enjoyable Saturday at Grandma Carter’s house. We’d arrive around 11:00 in the morning, the smell of slow steaks and homemade rolls lingering in the air. We’d sit down to a delicious meal with rolls, mashed potatoes, a little-bit overcooked broccoli, her delicious slow steaks and a tall glass of sweet tea. Then for dessert, a simple Jello brand no-bake cheesecake topped with canned cherry pie filling.
John’s parents passed away a few years ago, but making these Southern Slow Steaks always takes me back to those sweet memories. Wow, what I wouldn’t do for another Saturday with his parents. I hope you enjoyed this little story, I know our kids and John’s family probably got a kick out of it. My Mother-in-law may have been a simple cook but she always made the most awesome Southern Slow Steaks!
Our family favorite Southern Slow Steaks are deliciously tender, low in fat, calories but high in protein, and they’re easily made in a slow cooker!
Cut steaks into individual servings and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. In a hot pan with the olive oil, brown steaks thoroughly on each side. Remove from pan and put them in the slow cooker.
Pour 2 cups of water in the hot pan along with the bouillon cube or beef broth paste. Reduce heat to medium-high.
Pour 1 cup of water, the flour, garlic powder & onion powder in a container with a lid and shake until the flour is dissolved. Slowly add the flour & water mixture to the hot pan. Stir constantly until the broth thickens.
Pour the gravy over the steaks in the slow cooker.
Cover with the lid and cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
The steaks are done when they are fork tender.
Serve these amazingly tender steaks with mashed potatoes, over egg noodles, or brown rice for a delicious Southern Slow Steak dinner!
We hope you try our Southern Slow Steaks and enjoy this recipe as much as we do. If you make it, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Southern Slow Steaks
- 2 pounds top round sirloin steaks, cut into 3" or 4" pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, optional
- 1 beef bouillon cube, or 1 teaspoon beef broth paste
- 3 cups water, separated
- 1/4 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
- Cut steaks into 3" or 4" pieces and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Place the olive oil in a large pan over high heat. When the oil is hot add half of the steaks. Brown thoroughly on each side, remove from pan and put them in the slow cooker. Repeat with the other steaks.
- Pour 2 cups of water in the hot pan along with the bouillon cube or beef broth paste. Reduce heat to medium-high.
- Pour 1 cup of water, the flour, garlic powder & onion powder in a container with a lid and shake until the flour is dissolved. Slowly add the flour & water mixture to the hot pan. Stir constantly until the broth thickens. Pour gravy over the steaks in the slow cooker.
- Cover with the lid and cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Steaks are done when fork tender.
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!