Happy National Cookie Day! To help you celebrate this delicious day we’re sharing our Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. They have delicious oats and lots of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, for a healthier cookie, you’ll absolutely love! Our kids came to visit us recently and our granddaughter, Laila loves to help me in the kitchen. They also LOVE my homemade cookies. So, we had fun making a batch of these Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, which turned out awesome!
If you’re a My Sweet Mission reader then you know that we love soft & chewy cookies. But, if you prefer your oatmeal cookies a little crispier, see the recipe notes below.
Make up the cookie dough. Oh, and by the way, if you’re a cookie dough lover – oatmeal cookie dough is the absolute BEST!
Scoop the dough into nice balls, bake ’em up and cool slightly.
I recommend using small, medium and large scoopers, to quickly and easily scoop your cookie dough. Using a scooper makes the cookies even in size, so they bake up perfect every time.
Here’s a nice selection of scoopers in different sizes, which are perfect for all your cookie needs. And, the price of this trio of scoopers is great!!!
Hot out of the oven with a big glass of milk, or a perfect cup of French pressed coffee, these cookies are soft, chewy, chocolaty heaven! And, they’re a healthier cookie, so enjoy!
Our son-in-law, Kenny snapped this picture and sent it to his sister as a little tease. She said, “Hey, make sure you save me one!” And, of course, he did.
We hope you try our Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies and enjoy them as much as we do. If you make them, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Soft & Chewy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 12 ounces mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 - 12 ounce package)
Preheat oven to 360 degrees F. I find this temperature to be perfect for many gourmet cookies.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, sugars, and salt. Mix on low speed for a minute, then on medium for an additional minute.
- Add the eggs & vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until the eggs are blended in, then on medium for a minute and then on high for an additional minute. The mixture should be pale yellow and very fluffy.
- Add the flour, along with the baking powder and baking soda and mix on low speed until the flour disappears. Then add the oats and mix on low again, just until blended.
- Add the mini chocolate chips and mix on low just until blended.
- Use a 2 ounce (medium-sized) cookie scooper and place the dough on ungreased nonstick baking sheets about 2" apart. Press the dough down slightly.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the tops start to crackle and the tops are lightly golden.
Looking for more delicious homestyle recipes? Then take a look at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat. It’s our delicious eCookbook with 50 tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for over 50 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!