Today I’m sharing a recipe for my sister-in-law, Sharon’s Slow Cooker Cantonese Chicken Dinner. She has been making this delicious recipe for over 47 years and it’s one of their family’s favorite dinners! This easy Slow Cooker Cantonese Chicken Dinner is full of healthy vegetables, savory flavors, and tender chicken. It’s also low in calories and fat (score!) but super delicious too!
It’s easy to make, just put the ingredients in a slow cooker, give it a stir and turn it on. I really LOVE slow cooker meals! Don’t you?
With all this delicious goodness and being a healthier meal too, you can see why this is one recipe Sharon’s family all love. I just couldn’t wait to make it again. So, I made it for my parents and us for dinner tonight and my parents loved it too!
We’ll definitely be making this meal from time to time. Thank you, Sharon, for the recipe!
Cut the chicken into pieces and put it in a slow cooker.
Sharon likes to use kitchen scissors to cut the chicken. *If using this method, make sure to wash the scissors thoroughly after using.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine. I just love recipes with onions and peppers, they make a dish super tasty!
We were visiting John’s family in Illinois, and there were a lot of us for dinner the night we made this meal, so we used two slow cookers and doubled the recipe for each pot. I know, that’s a lot of food, but there were leftovers the next day – yum.
Above is Sharon’s Crock Pot (aka slow cooker). She actually got this savory recipe from the cookbook that came with her very first Crock Pot. Although this Crock Pot looks vintage, she said it’s not the original one from their wedding.
You may have one that looks similar from a long time ago too.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
Talk about set it and forget it. Dinner just doesn’t get much easier, or tastier than this one!
Serve over cooked rice or Asian noodles. We made Jasmine rice (both times) and it went perfectly with it! Check out this interesting article about the different types of Asian Noodles by POPSUGAR. Can you guess how many different noodles there are before taking a look? I admit I knew some, but not all of them.
We hope you try and love our sister-in-law Sharon’s Slow Cooker Cantonese Chicken Dinner as much as our family does! You never know, it could become your favorite too. If you make it, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Slow Cooker Cantonese Chicken Dinner
- 1 1/2 pounds (680.39 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- 1 cup (160 g) onion diced
- 1 cup (149 g) green pepper, diced
- 4 ounces (113.4 g) sliced mushrooms, drained (1 can)
- 8 ounces (226.8 g) tomato sauce (1 can)
- 3 tablespoons (44.36 ml) brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (22.18 ml) white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (7.39 ml) salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons (9.86 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- Cut the chicken into pieces and put it in a slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve over cooked rice or Asian noodles.
- This recipe can be doubled, or even quadrupled (like we did the first time) for larger families or parties.
- Variations the 2nd time I made it: I used an 8 ounce package of fresh mushrooms and sautéed them in a little olive oil. After cooking them they weighed 5.5 ounces, which is close enough. We thought the fresh sautéed mushrooms made the dish even tastier. I also used Soy Sauce in place of the Worcestershire and it was very good too.
- You can also add bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, *cashews or *almonds to this dish. *Sprinkle the cashews or almonds after cooking and upon serving.
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!