Red Velvet Sundae Cupcakes, yum! What’s not to love about that? I created these moist and creamy, delectable gems for a dinner party recently and everyone loved them. They’re easy to make because you use a red velvet cake mix and they’re lower in calories and fat, because I used my lower calorie cake tip, instead of vegetable oil in the cake mix. So, here we go…let’s make these deliciously pretty cupcakes.
Make the cupcakes according to the instructions, then cool on a cooling rack. Tip: To save calories and for super moist cupcakes or cakes every time, use my lower calorie cake tip and toothpick tip.
Using the star tip, pipe on the buttercream frosting in a swirl pattern.
They’re almost done, we just need to add a drizzle of dark chocolate and put the cherries on top.
Melt the chocolate discs and pour it into a squeeze bottle.
Drizzle the chocolate back and forth over the buttercream frosting. Here’s a helpful tutorial on melting chocolate.
Drain the maraschino cherries in a strainer. Then blot each cherry on a paper towel to ensure there isn’t any cherry juice inside.
Next just place a cherry on top of each frosted cupcake. I think they look like little ice cream sundaes and they taste amazing! These Red Velvet Sundae Cupcakes are a super fun ending to any meal. So, go ahead and make a batch for someone special today!
We hope you try our Red Velvet Sundae Cupcakes and enjoy them as much as we do. If you make them, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Red Velvet Sundae Cupcakes
- 16.5 ounce red velvet cake mix (1 box)
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used my lower calorie cake tip, link below recipe)
- 1 batch best buttercream frosting
- 1 cup quality milk or dark chocolate, (I used dark chocolate)
- 10 ounces maraschino cherries, drained well (1 jar)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line cupcake pans with 24 papers.
- Make the cupcakes according to the instructions on the cake box, then cool them on a cooling rack.
- Make the buttercream frosting and fill a Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus.
- Using the star tip, pipe on the buttercream frosting in a swirl pattern.
- Melt the chocolate discs and pour it into a squeeze bottle. Drizzle the chocolate back and forth over the buttercream frosting. There's a link to a helpful tutorial on melting chocolate below recipe.
- Drain the maraschino cherries in a strainer. Then blot each cherry on a paper towel to ensure there isn't any cherry juice inside.
- Place a cherry on top of each frosted cupcake and they're ready to serve.
Helpful links for making our Red Velvet Sundae Cupcakes:
- Lower calorie cake tip
- Best buttercream frosting
- Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus
- Tutorial on melting chocolate
Looking for more delicious homestyle recipes? Then take a look at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat. It’s our delicious eCookbook with 50 tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for over 50 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!
Looking for more delicious cupcake recipes?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.