John & I try to eat healthily but we love our desserts too. Eating healthier might be one of your New Year’s resolutions, so I thought I would share my new, delicious Oatmeal Date & Nut Cookies, that I recently created at Baxter’s restaurant. It’s a treat that is healthier and will help keep you full, because of the rolled oats, while satisfying your sweet tooth too. I’ve also made these at home and John & I, along with my Mom & Dad really loved them! So, here’s to eating a healthier cookie with my Oatmeal Date & Nut Cookies.
Chewy, nutty oatmeal cookies with sweet chopped dates. One taste and we think you’ll agree they’re a delicious, healthier sweet treat!
In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, sugars, and salt. Then add the eggs & vanilla extract. The mixture should be a pale yellow color and very fluffy. Add the flour, along with the baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon on low or stir speed. Next, add the rolled oats or oatmeal and mix on low, just until blended. *See note below for mixing tip.
Then add the date pieces and chopped walnuts, mixing on low, just until blended.
Use a 2-ounce cookie scooper and place the dough on ungreased nonstick baking sheets about 2″ apart and press the dough about half way down.
You can see all the yummy oats, dates and nuts! These delicious cookies are high in fiber and great with a cup of coffee.
We hope you try our Oatmeal Date & Nut Cookies and enjoy them as much as we do. If you make them, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Oatmeal Date & Nut Cookies
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats or instant (quick) oats
- 8 ounces medjool date pieces
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat an oven to 360 degrees F. This is the temperature I prefer for gourmet cookies.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter, sugars, and salt. Start on low speed for about 45 seconds, then speed 2 or medium for an additional 45 seconds.
- Add the eggs & vanilla extract. Start on low again until the eggs are blended in, then mix at speed 2 or medium for 45 seconds and then speed 4 or high for 45 seconds. The mixture should be a pale yellow color and very fluffy.
- Add the flour, along with the baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon on low or stir speed. Then add the rolled oats or oatmeal and mix on low, just until blended.
- Next add the date pieces and chopped walnuts, mixing on low just until blended.
- Use a 2-ounce cookie scooper and place the dough on ungreased nonstick baking sheets about 2" apart. Press the dough about halfway down.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 11-13 minutes, or until the tops start to crackle and the cookies are a light golden color.
- Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!