Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the the flour, sugar, ground oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon & salt into a mixing bowl and blend on low until blended.
If you have grated frozen carrots put them in the fridge overnight, or leave them on the counter, until completely thawed, approximately 2-3 hours. Add the vegetable oil, eggs, grated carrots and the pineapple to the dry ingredients. On low mix until moist, then on beat on medium, for an additional 2 minutes.
To create the 3 layer carrot cake, spray (3) 9″ pans and divide batter evenly. I used a 3 oz scooper, where each pan received 7 scoops. Bake the cakes in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out just a little sticky.
Let stand 5-10 minutes in the pans. Run a knife around the cake, then turn onto a cooling rack. Cool completely. *Note: Take the cream cheese and the butter out of the fridge at this time, so they can come to room temperature, to make the Walnut Cream Cheese Frosting.
Put the cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla extract and the chopped walnuts into a mixing bowl. Mix together starting on low, until blended thoroughly. Here’s what the frosting will look like.
Lay pieces of wax paper on a serving platter and put the first layer on. Evenly spread 1/3 of the frosting on top. Continue with the other two (2) layers and remove the pieces of wax paper.
My 'One and Only' Carrot Cake
Cream cheese frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, or Neufchatel cheese, room temperature (1 package)
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 pound powdered sugar (3 3/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease (3) 9" round pans.
- Mix the dry ingredients on low, then add the wet ingredients. Mix until moist and then blend on medium for an additional 2 minutes.
- Bake the cakes in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out sticky.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes, remove from pans and cool completely before frosting.
Cream cheese frosting:
- Put the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and the chopped walnuts into a mixing bowl and mix on low speed until thoroughly blended.
- Lay pieces of wax paper on a serving platter and put the first layer on. Evenly spread 1/3 of the frosting on top. Continue with the other 2 layers then remove the wax paper pieces.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 3 greased pans. This will ensure the cakes are close to the same thickness and they bake evenly.
- To remove the cakes, run a knife around the edge of the cake, then turn onto a cooling rack and gently tapped the bottom.
- Allow the cream cheese and butter to come to room temperature for 1-2 hours before making the Walnut Cream Cheese Frosting.
- If you're using grated frozen carrots put them in the fridge overnight, or leave them on the counter, until completely thawed approximately 2-3 hours.
- I use Neufchatel cheese instead of regular cream cheese. It has 1/3 less fat, tastes great and you won't be able to tell the difference. Using Neufchatel cheese saves 240 calories for the frosting!
- I use 1/2 of a 20 oz can crushed pineapple with the juice, which is approximately 1 cup, and then freeze the other cup for later. Frozen pineapple will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- (3) 9" pans - bake for 25-30 minutes
- (1) 9" x 13" pan + 12 cupcakes - bake 9" x 13" cake for 35-40 minutes, and the cupcakes for 15-18 minutes.
- (1) 11" x 15" pan - bake for 25-30 minutes
Looking for more delicious cake recipes?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.