UPDATE: This delicious recipe has been updated with newer pictures. 🙂
We’re visiting our daughter, Chelsea and son-in-law, Kenny in Washington state. So, hello from the Northwest. Saddle up and get ready for an amazing recipe, because today we’re making Kenny’s Famous Cowboy Beans! Kenny’s friends and family request him to make these delicious baked beans all the time, and after one taste, I can see why they do!
Kenny’s Famous Cowboy Beans has lean ground turkey, or beef, with tender vegetables in an easy sweet and savory homemade sauce!
These beans are so rich and hearty, and full of fiber, they’re sure to keep you full for quite some time.
So, let’s get cooking:
In a large pan brown the ground turkey or lean ground beef.
Put the cooked turkey or lean ground beef, the diced green pepper and onion, and the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker.
Mix the ingredients together thoroughly.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours.
Pro Tip: Do not stir the beans during the cook time. This will help to create a delicious, sticky crust on top, that is easily stirred into the beans.
These cowboy beans may not look like much shown above, but give them a stir (after the required cooking time of course) and use a slotted spoon to get you a bowl full!
Kenny’s Famous Cowboy Beans are sweet, savory, chunky and absolutley amazing! And, you can make them a day ahead, they just get a little richer and thicker. So, the next time you have a dinner, or Bar-be-que we hope you give these delicious beans a try. If you do, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission, we’d love to see it!
Kenny's Famous Cowboy Beans
- 1 pound ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 30 ounces pork & beans (2-15 ounce cans)
- 32 ounces chili beans (2-16 ounce cans - we recommend Bush's)
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Brown the ground turkey or lean ground beef in a skillet and put it in a slow cooker.
- Dice the green pepper and onion and add it to the slow cooker, along with the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours. Do not stir during the cook time.