I was given the Culinary Parchment Lotus Cups in this post from PaperChef to give a review. As always, all opinions are mine alone.
Jumbo Snowball Cupcakes are perfect for Valentine’s Day or Easter because they’re pretty, filled with the best buttercream frosting AND topped with it too! Then to make them extra special, they’re dipped in some sweet pink coconut! My inspiration was taken from the infamous Hostess Sno Balls and they turned out beautiful.
I promised I would bring you these Jumbo Snowball Cupcakes from my post how to color coconut, and I couldn’t wait to share them with you!
These Jumbo Snowball Cupcakes are moist (but lighter) chocolate cream-filled cupcakes, topped with pretty pink coconut, and they’re absolutely scrumptious!
Here are the Culinary Parchment Lotus Cups from PaperChef. I enjoyed using them because they’re nice and sturdy, they hold double the cake batter (perfect for jumbo cupcakes!) and they baked up perfectly. Plus, they are a non-stick parchment paper and the lotus pattern is very nice too.
Line 2 cupcake tins with 12 Culinary Parchment Lotus Cups, using every other space. Using every other space will allow the cupcakes to expand and stay round, instead of the cupcakes touching each other during baking.
Mix the cake ingredients according to the instructions on the cake box. Using a 2 oz scooper put 2 scoops of batter into each paper cup.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 18-20 minutes. See note below for perfectly moist cupcakes when using lite mayonnaise.
Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Press the tip of the Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus about 1/2 way into each cupcake and pipe about a tablespoon of buttercream frosting.
You’ll know that there’s enough filling in each cupcake when it starts to come out the top a little.
Using the round tip, start in the middle of each cupcake and work your way around the top. Now, these cupcakes would be fantastic the way they are, but, let’s make them extra special by…
…dipping them in some sweet pink coconut. They’re oh so pretty and perfect for Valentine’s Day or Easter! Plus, who doesn’t LOVE coconut?!
Jumbo Snowball Cupcakes
- 16.5 ounces (467.77 g) Devil's Food Cake Mix (1 - 16.5 oz box)
- 3 (3 ) large eggs
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (112 g) light mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cup (354.88 ml) milk
- 5 tablespoons (73.93 ml) unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup (340.5 g) butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup (300 g) white sugar
- 2 teaspoon (9.86 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 cup (80 g) pink coconut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 cupcake tins with 12 Culinary Parchment Lotus Cups, using every other space.
- Mix cake ingredients according to the instructions on the cake box. Using a 2 oz scooper put 2 scoops of batter into each paper cup.
- Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 18 minutes. See note for perfectly moist cupcakes when using lite mayonnaise. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a saucepan whisk together the milk and flour. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until thickened. Set aside to cool until the bottom of the pan is warm to the touch. See notes to quickly cooling the mixture.
- While the thickened milk mixture is cooling, combine and beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until light and creamy, about a minute.
- Take the cooled, thickened milk mixture and give it a stir. Adding a tablespoon at a time to the butter-sugar mixture, beat on medium-high speed until all the milk mixture is added. Then beat an additional minute or two until the frosting is smooth and extra creamy.
- Fill the Dessert Decorator Plus with buttercream frosting and attach the filling tip. Press the end of the tip about 1/2 way into each cupcake and pipe about a tablespoon into each one. You'll know it's enough filling when it starts to come out the top.
- Using the round tip, frost the tops of the cupcakes then dip them in the pink coconut.
- For perfectly moist cupcakes when using lite mayonnaise make sure to check them several minutes before the instructions on the cake box. Cupcakes always bake up faster with lite mayonnaise.
- For the buttercream frosting: To quickly cool the thickened milk mixture place the saucepan in the freezer on a hot pad for 5-7 minutes. If the butter is really soft and the frosting doesn't seem thick or stiff enough, place the mixing bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes and beat again until smooth and extra creamy.
Helpful links to make our Jumbo Snowball Cupcakes:
- Low fat cake tip
- Toothpick tip
- Best Buttercream Frosting (see the step by step process)
- Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus
- How to Color Coconut
You can find Paper Chef products at these retailers:
- Sur La Table
- Whole Foods (select locations)
Looking for more delicious cupcake recipes?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
If you enjoyed our Jumbo Snowball Cupcakes, please share & comment. Thanks, we appreciate you!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.