Our Incredibly Moist Banana Cake is tried and true, and it turns out super moist and delicious every time! It’s so good that I’ve been making this amazing cake for my family and friends for over 30 years now. Rich flavors of banana and vanilla in a moist cake, that’s topped with the creamiest buttercream frosting. Making this banana cake extra special and exceptionally delicious!
If you have three (3) frozen bananas, let them thaw on the counter or use three (3) medium ripe bananas. In a separate bowl blend together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
Cream together in a mixing bowl the sugar, butter, and eggs. Beat about one (1) minute on medium speed until creamy. Then add the flour mixture, mix on low until well blended.
To make Homemade Buttermilk:
Pour 2 tablespoons white vinegar into a 1 cup measuring cup.
Fill the remainder of the measuring cup with milk.
Gently stir carefully until it starts to curdle and allow it to sit for a little while.
Spray a 9″x13″ baking pan. Spread batter evenly and bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. The cake is done when it’s light golden in color and the cake is just pulling away from the edge of the pan. *Don’t not overbake, but use my toothpick tip to test the cake. Cool completely before frosting.
In a pan combine the milk and flour and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thickened. When the milk mixture is thickened it should coat the back of a spoon, like above.
Take the slightly cooled, thickened milk mixture and add three (3) tablespoons to the butter mixture the first time. Continue adding a tablespoon of thickened milk mixture at a time until all the thickened milk mixture is gone. Then beat at medium/high an additional minute. The frosting should be smooth and creamy.
Spread evenly on cooled cake. Cut into pieces, makes 12 servings. I’m sure your family & friends will love this banana cake.
With just one bite you’ll taste the rich flavors of banana and vanilla, blended into a moist cake batter and topped with the creamiest buttercream frosting around!
Thanks for stopping by and we hope you enjoy our Incredibly Moist Banana Cake, it’s one of our favorites. If you make this delicious cake, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Incredibly Moist Banana Cake
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed 3 medium bananas
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the sugar, softened butter, and eggs.
- In a separate bowl blend together, with a whisk or fork, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar, butter and egg mixture. Blend on low until well mixed.
- Add the buttermilk a little at a time, then the vanilla extract and the bananas, mix on low until well blended. Then, mix on medium until batter is smooth & creamy, an additional minute.
- Spread the batter evenly into the greased pan and bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. The cake is done when it's light golden in color and just starting to pull away from the edge of the pan. But, make sure not to overbake it because over baking will make it dry. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a pan over medium heat whisk together the milk and flour. Cook stirring constantly over medium heat, until smooth and slightly thickened. When the milk mixture is thickened it should coat the back of a spoon. Cool mixture to warm to the touch.
- While the thickened milk mixture is cooling, put the softened butter, white sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth and creamy, approximately a minute.
- Add the slightly cooled, thickened milk mixture a tablespoon at a time to the butter mixture. Beat about 30 seconds on medium or until creamy. Continue adding a tablespoon of the thickened milk mixture at a time, while mixer is on medium. Then beat at medium-high for an additional minute or two.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake and enjoy!
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!