My Mom’s Hungarian Stuffed Peppers are red peppers stuffed with brown rice, ground pork and onions served with a savory Hungarian tomato sauce called rántás (rán-tásh).
This is one large stuffed pepper with the rántás sauce poured over it. My Mom was so sweet to make John’s favorite meal and he enjoyed his birthday dinner! She also made him a homemade Coconut Creme Pie. I hope you like this savory dish as much as our family does!
Hungarian Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 pounds lean ground pork
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 10 red peppers, or any color
- Small head of cabbage, chopped
- 46 ounces tomato juice, or V8 vegetable juice (1 can)
- 3 cups water
Tomato rántás sauce:
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
- Juice from the pot of stuffed cooked peppers
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix the ground pork, diced onion, salt, pepper and the cooled rice.
- Clean out the centers of whole red or any color peppers and stuff them with the pork and rice mixture. Place the stuffed peppers in a large pot.
- Chop the cabbage and place it on top of the stuffed peppers.
- Pour the can of tomato juice over the cabbage. Add 3 cups of water to the can of tomato juice, give it a swirl to rinse it out, and pour this over the cabbage too.
- Place the pot over medium heat, cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 hour.
Tomato rántás sauce:
- With scissors, cut the bacon in pieces into a saucepan and brown bacon thoroughly over medium heat. Then add the flour. Stir and cook a couple of minutes until the flour is lightly browned.
- Pour the juice from the cooked peppers into the bacon and flour mixture, also known as a roux.
- Stir constantly and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, or until the tomato rántás thickens.
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!
Looking for more delicious entrée recipes?
Here are a few of our family favorites!
Coming up on My Sweet Mission is a super simple tasty treat, you’ll definitely want to stop by and check it out!
If you enjoyed our Hungarian Stuffed Peppers, please share & comment. Thanks, we appreciate you!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.