The reason my Grandmother’s recipe has been a family favorite for many years is that these delicious dessert squares have wholesome ingredients and taste amazing!
Mix the first six (6) ingredients together as you would a pie crust. Put half of the mixture in a greased 9″ x 13″ pan and press until evenly distributed and firm.
In a saucepan, over medium heat, stir and cook the next four (4) ingredients until smooth.
Pour the hot date mixture over the first layer of oatmeal mixture and evenly sprinkle the chopped walnuts.
Spread the remaining oatmeal mixture over the date filling and carefully pat down.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 25 – 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
It really doesn’t get much better than these crumbly, buttery, nutty English Date Squares. They’re a family favorite dessert because they’re really super delicious!
We hope you try our English Date Squares and enjoy them as much as we do. If you make it, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
English Date Squares
- 1 3/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats or instant (we prefer rolled oats)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup butter, cold and cubed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound baking dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl mix the first six (6) ingredients together with your hands or a pastry cutter, as you would a pie crust.
- Put half of the mixture in a greased 9" x 13" pan and press until evenly distributed and firm.
- In a saucepan, over medium heat, stir and cook the next four (4) ingredients until smooth. Pour the hot date mixture over the first layer of oat mixture and evenly sprinkle the chopped walnuts.
- Spread the remaining oat mixture over the date filling and carefully pat down.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before cutting.
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!
Looking for more delicious dessert recipes?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
These English Date Squares are going to a Bake Sale Fundraiser to raise money for our Thailand mission team this Sunday! I hope you enjoy your weekend!