Our Easy Sugar Cookie Frosting is buttery, smooth and creamy, and perfect for sugar cookies! We’ve been using this frosting for over 30 years and everyone goes crazy over it. It also has just 4 ingredients and whips up in minutes. And, it sets up nicely so you can store your cookies until ready to serve.
Every great sugar cookie needs a delicious frosting, and this one is a keeper – we promise! It’s a little different than buttercream frosting, which is truly an amazing frosting in itself, because this frosting is a little stiffer.
Ok, let’s make it: In a mixing bowl with the whipping attachment, or beaters, combine the ingredients well. Then whip, or beat, for an additional minute or two, or until it’s extra smooth and creamy.
The holidays are coming, which means you may have a lot of sugar cookies coming out of your oven. Well, you’re gonna need this frosting in your life, trust me on this my friend!
Using the back of a spoon, spread the frosting on cookies in a swirled pattern. Allow the frosted cookies to set for approximately an hour, or longer, before storing in an airtight container.
Feel free to add a few drops of food coloring to your frosting and pretty sprinkles too. I was going for beautiful white, almost snow-like, sugar cookies. A real classic sugar cookie is what we have here folks. 🙂
Pro tip: When storing cookies, lay sheets of wax or parchment paper between layers, so the cookies don’t stick together.
The sugar cookies shown here are thick, soft and buttery, and not too sweet. We’ll be sharing the recipe very soon here on My Sweet Mission. So, if you haven’t already signed up for our free newsletter, make sure to do so. Because you’ll receive our free delicious recipes and helpful kitchen tips right to your inbox!
Do you love sugar cookies? Maybe you have a favorite frosting you’ve been using for a long time on your sugar cookies. Or, you tried this frosting and absolutely love it. If so, please tell us about it in the comments below. We would love for you to share it with us!
Easy Sugar Cookie Frosting
- 1 pound (453.59 g) powered sugar, approximately 3 3/4 cups
- 1/2 cup (113.5 g) butter, slightly melted
- 1/4 cup (59.15 ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon (4.93 ml) vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl with the whipping attachment, or beaters, combine the ingredients well. Then whip, or beat, for an additional minute or two, or until it's extra smooth and creamy.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread the frosting on cookies in a swirled pattern. Allow the frosted cookies to set for approximately an hour, or longer, before storing in an airtight container.
- When storing cookies, lay sheets of wax or parchment paper between layers, so the cookies don't stick together.
- This frosting also freezes well.
- Frosts 22 (2 oz) medium-sized cookies
We hope you try our Easy Sugar Cookie Frosting. If you do, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Check out Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat. It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family-favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50+ years! And, a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is perfect for gift-giving!
Looking for more delicious frosting recipes?
You might also enjoy these!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.