Happy Thanksgiving – a little early! I hope you’re ready for tomorrow, I pretty much am! In honor of this delicious holiday, I’m sharing my delicious Coconut Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole recipe. I make this dish every year because our family loves it and it just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without it!
My Coconut Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole is sweet & savory and full of flavor, with shredded coconut, sweet potatoes, and a buttery, brown sugar and pecan topping!
If using raw sweet potatoes: Rinse, peel and cut the sweet potatoes and put them in a large pot. Cover with salted water (about 1 teaspoon). Over high heat cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and place the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Mash the freshly cooked or canned sweet potatoes with a fork or a hand mixer on low.
Add the sugar, egg, shredded coconut, milk, vanilla extract, and the salt. Blend with a hand mixer on low (you don’t want to wear it), until thoroughly blended.
Pour into an ungreased casserole dish, similar to 11 1/2″ x 7 1/2″ x 2″ pan.
Make the topping and sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture, then add the chopped pecans and lastly pour the melted butter. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 30-35 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.
We hope you try our Coconut Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole and enjoy it as much as we do. If you make it, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Coconut Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If using raw sweet potatoes: Rinse, peel, cut and put them in a large pot. Cover with salted water (about 1 teaspoon salt). Over high heat cook for approximately 20 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and place the sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Mash the cooked or canned sweet potatoes with a fork or a mixer on low speed.
- Add the sugar, egg, coconut, milk, vanilla extract and the salt to the mashed sweet potatoes. Blend on low speed until thoroughly blended.
- Pour into an ungreased casserole dish, similar in size to 11 1/2" x 7 1/2" x 2".
- Combine the brown sugar and flour and put it evenly over the sweet potatoes. Next, sprinkle the chopped pecans and then evenly pour the melted butter.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.
- Leave out the egg
- Use 2/3 cup soy milk, instead of the milk
- Use 6 tablespoons melted vegetable margarine, instead of butter
Looking for more delicious homestyle recipes? Then take a look at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat. It’s our delicious eCookbook with 50 tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for over 50 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!
More delicious side dishes you might also enjoy!
Tomorrow I’ll be spending Thanksgiving Day with my family! My Mom does a beautiful job with the table and the food is so good! I’ll be sure to post some pictures for you in the next couple of days! Let’s remember all that we have to be thankful for. I hope you enjoy this holiday with your family and friends and Happy Thanksgiving to each one of you!