Our delicious Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream Frosting are moist cupcakes, with the smoothest and creamiest coconut buttercream you may ever taste! We love this amazing buttercream because it goes great with many cakes, and can be made as vegan and coconut buttercream too.
With Easter only a few weeks away, these cupcakes would be perfect for your Easter celebration! They’re so pretty and delicious – everyone will love them!
These cupcakes are also easy to make because they start out with a cake mix, but with a few of my little tips, they may taste even better than most cupcakes from scratch!
Bake in a preheated 350º F oven for 18-20 minutes, or until light golden brown. Use my toothpick tip to check the cupcakes and to assure they’re not overbaked. Remove cupcakes from oven and cool a few minutes in the muffin tins.
Place cupcakes on a cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
Make the creamy coconut buttercream frosting, fill a Dessert Decorator Plus and add the star tip. Go around the tops of the cupcakes to create a pretty design, then generously sprinkle with coconut. Easy, beautiful and delicious!
We can say this buttercream is the smoothest and creamiest you may ever taste, because whenever we make it, whether it’s regular buttercream, vegan or our coconut version, people go absolutely crazy over it! It’s a versatile buttercream recipe that’s great to have on hand, and it’s easy to make with our step by step instructions.
Recently my Dad turned 86 years old (Doesn’t he look great?!), and to help him celebrate we took him out to dinner and made these delicious coconut cupcakes for him. My Dad loves coconut, so these were a big hit with him!
This was his first birthday without my Mom, so we wanted it to be a little extra special. We feel that making something homemade (even if it starts with a cake mix) shows you really care about a person.
Do you have a coconut lover in your life too? If so, make them a batch of these delicious coconut cupcakes, I promise they’ll be so glad you did!
We hope you try our Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream Frosting and enjoy them as much as we do. If you make them, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream Frosting
- 15.25 ounces (1 box) Classic White cake mix by Duncan Hines, or Coconut Supreme
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 13.5 ounces (1 can) coconut milk, *reserve 1 cup for frosting
- 1 cup coconut milk & water, use the remainder of the coconut milk then add enough water to equal 1 cup
Coconut Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded coconut
Preheat oven to 350º F and line muffin pans with 16-18 papers.
- Shake the can of coconut milk and reserve 1 cup of the frosting.
- Mix the batter according to the instructions on the cake box, but use the ingredients listed above. Use a large scooper to easily put the batter into the muffin papers.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, or until light golden brown. Use my toothpick tip to check the cupcakes and to assure they're not overbaked (link below). Remove cupcakes from oven and cool a few minutes in the tins. Place cupcakes on a cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
Coconut Buttercream Frosting:
- In a saucepan whisk together the coconut milk and flour. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until thickened, this will take a few minutes. Set aside to cool until the bottom of the pan is warm to the touch. See note below. While the thickened coconut milk mixture is cooling, combine and beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until light and creamy, about a minute. Add a tablespoon at a time of the cooled thickened milk mixture to the butter mixture, beating on medium-high speed until all the thickened milk mixture is added. Beat an additional minute or two until the frosting is smooth and extra creamy.
- Put the frosting into a Dessert Decorator Plus (link below) and add the star tip. Go around the tops of the cupcakes to create a pretty design, then generously sprinkle with coconut.
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!
Looking for more delicious cupcake recipes?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.