Today I’m sharing a moist and delicious Chocolate Pistachio Swirl Cake, that I got from a friend about 8 years ago. This cake has beautiful light green and chocolate cake batters that magically swirl together while baking. Then it’s drizzled with a chocolate velvet glaze and topped with crushed pistachios. Ok, I think that’s enough talking, let’s get baking – shall we!
Our Chocolate Pistachio Swirl Cake is moist, chocolaty and the chocolate and pistachio batters make a beautiful and impressive swirled design inside!
In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients and mix according to the cake box directions. After mixing is complete, the batter will look like a soft greenish-yellow color. Pour 2/3 of the batter into the greased bundt pan.
Add the chocolate syrup to the remaining batter and mix on low until blended.
Pour the chocolate batter on top of the pistachio batter. Now, this is the amazing part, you do not swirl the two batters together. But, while it’s baking, the cake magically creates a beautiful swirl pattern! See the swirled pattern in the first image. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 50-55, or if using light mayonnaise bake for 40-45 minutes. Test with a toothpick to make sure it’s perfectly baked.
Notice the chocolate is no longer on top, but it went all through the pistachio batter while it was baking.
Cool 10-15 minutes before carefully flipping unto a serving platter. Allow cake to cool completely and place pieces of wax paper under the cake before decorating.
While the cake is cooling, shell and remove the skins from the pistachio nuts. I used a 1 1/2 oz. bag of pistachios. Chop in a hand chopper or with a knife. I’ve had my nifty little hand chopper for over 20 years now and it still works great!
For the Chocolate Velvet Glaze:
Combine the chocolate chips and butter in a small pan and melt together over medium heat. Remove from heat and add the milk, vanilla extract, and salt, stir until creamy. Add the confectioner’s sugar, beat on low until blended and then on high until creamy again.
The chocolate glaze should be smooth, creamy and soft enough to drizzle over the cake. Notice how the glaze is folding over at the end of the beaters. See notes below if the glaze is too stiff or runny.
We hope you try our Chocolate Pistachio Swirl Cake and enjoy it as much as we do. If you make it, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Chocolate Pistachio Swirl Cake
- 18.25 ounces yellow cake mix (1 box)
- 3.4 ounces instant pistachio pudding (1 small box)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup chocolate syrup
Chocolate velvet glaze:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces pistachios, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and generously grease a bundt pan.
- In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients and mix according to the cake box directions. Pour 2/3 of the batter into the greased bundt pan.
- Add the chocolate syrup to the remaining batter and mix on low until blended. Pour the chocolate batter on top of the pistachio batter. Do not swirl the two batters together, it will swirl as it bakes.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 50-55 minutes. See notes if using light mayonnaise instead of the vegetable oil.
- Cool 10-15 minutes before carefully flipping the cake onto a serving platter. Allow the cake to cool completely and place pieces of wax paper under it before decorating.
Chocolate velvet glaze:
- While the cake is cooling, shell and remove the skins from the pistachio nuts and chop.
- Combine the chocolate chips and butter in a small pan and melt together over medium heat, stirring gently.
- Remove from heat and add the milk, vanilla extract, and salt, stir until creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar. Beat on low, until blended and then on high until creamy again.
- Use a squeeze bottle or a spoon to drizzle the chocolate glaze over the cake.
- Sprinkle the chopped pistachios and remove the pieces of wax paper.
- For a lower fat cake use 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon light mayonnaise instead of the vegetable oil with the cake mix.
- I spray the measuring cup before adding the chocolate syrup, so the syrup comes out easily.
- If you're using light mayonnaise check the cake at 40-45 minutes because it will bake faster than with vegetable oil.
- Test with a toothpick to make sure it's not over-baked.
- The chocolate glaze should be smooth, creamy and soft enough to drizzle over the cake if it's a little stiff add a tablespoon of milk and beat again. If it's a little too runny, add a little more confectioners sugar.
Helpful Link:Lower calorie cake tip
Some Fun Nut-ritional Pistachio Facts:
Looking for more delicious homestyle recipes? Then take a look at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat. It’s our delicious eCookbook with 50 tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for over 50 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!