I hope you had a great weekend, mine was fantastic because of our Bake Sale Fundraiser and a Thailand meeting yesterday! The bake sale did really well and the meeting got us even more excited about our Thailand mission trip! Today I’m sharing a new way to serve my Chocolate Pistachio Swirl Cake, by making them into cupcakes! They’re so delicious and pretty and I was able to use my Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus tool for the first time since my post with Zoie on Adorable Owl Cupcakes!
Mix the pistachio cake batter according to the directions on the box. Line muffin tins with papers and use a 2 ounce scooper for the first layer.
Mix the chocolate syrup with the remaining batter.
Using a 1 ounce scooper, place the chocolate batter on top. There’s no need to swirl the batters.
Here’s what they will look like before baking.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out sticky, not dry. Notice how the two batters blended and swirled together! Cool completely before decorating.
Make the frosting, which is so easy and may just be the best fudge frosting you’ve ever had!
Fill your Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus tool or a pastry bag with the frosting, then have fun swirling that frosting on top!
Then sprinkle with the chopped pistachio nuts.
Here’s what they look like inside, with the pistachio and chocolate batters…YUM!
Chocolate Pistachio Cupcakes w/Fudge Frosting
- 16.5 ounces yellow cake mix (1 box)
- 3.4 ounces instant pistachio pudding (1 small box)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup chocolate syrup
- 3/4 cup softened butter
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the tops:
- 1/4 cup pistachio nuts, shelled, skins removed and chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients and mix according to the cake box.
- Use a 2-ounce scooper to place the cake batter in the muffin papers.
- Add the chocolate syrup to the remaining batter and stir until blended. Use a 1-ounce scooper to place the chocolate batter on top of the pistachio batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out a little sticky, not dry.
- Cool 5 minutes then remove the cupcakes from tins. Cool cupcakes completely before decorating.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, powdered sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, milk and vanilla extract on low until blended and then on medium for an additional minute.
- Swirl or spread frosting on cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with chopped pistachio nuts.