We love gourmet cookies and they just happen to be one of my specialties. So, in honor of Valentine’s Day I’m sharing my beautiful Chocolate Decorated Heart Shaped Cookies. They’re decorated with Chocoley’s delicious chocolates and two of their adorable sprinkles, which add that extra touch! They start with our family’s famous sugar cookie recipe, which are truly amazing with the original buttery frosting, but decorating them with two creamy chocolates takes them to a whole new level!
Our Chocolate Decorated Heart Shaped Cookies are buttery, soft and chewy sugar cookies, decorated with creamy dark and white chocolates, then sprinkled with pretty Valentine decorations! And, these pretty cookies are a perfect gift for that someone special!
Follow the recipe for my homemade sugar cookies. Hey, is it me or does the dough on the beater look a little like a heart? I promise, that’s how it looked when I lifted it out of the bowl.
Roll out the dough on a well floured counter or board. Then using a heart shaped cookie cutter make the hearts.
Place the hearts on a baking sheet and pop them in the oven. Bake a couple minutes longer than the instructions here.
Mmmm…look at those sweet little hearts, all soft and buttery!
Put the cookies on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
Melt the dark chocolate. Using a spatula or the back of a spoon, spread the chocolate on half of each cookie. Immediately sprinkle the chocolate with the pink nonpareils or the edible confetti red hearts and place on parchment paper.
Doesn’t that chocolate look delicious? Well, I promise it is! And, if you haven’t tried Chocoley chocolates, you really should.
I just love the look of these pretty little sprinkles by Chocoley, both the pink nonpareils and the edible confetti red hearts. You can sprinkle a little or a lot, you’re the boss!
We gave a box of these pretty chocolate decorated heart shaped cookies to our sweet neighbors and another box to our good friends, they both loved them! In an upcoming post I’ll show you how I packaged them as a gift. The theme here is chocolate and red, so pretty!
We hope you try our Chocolate Decorated Heart Shaped Cookies and enjoy them as much as we do. If you make them, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Chocolate Decorated Heart Shaped Cookies
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound quality dark chocolate
- 3/4 pound quality white chocolate
- Pink Nonpareils
- Edible Confetti Red Hearts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beat well. Add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix on low until well blended.
- Flour a counter or cutting board. Roll out the dough to about 1/4" thick, adding a little more flour each time you flip the dough. Dip a heart-shaped cookie cutter in flour each time, then cut out the shapes as close as you can. Carefully put them on a baking sheet about 1" apart.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. Cool on baking sheets for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.
Melt the dark chocolate:
- Using a spatula or the back of a spoon, spread it on half of each cookie in alternating pretty designs; left side, right side, top or bottom of each cookie. Immediately sprinkle the chocolate with the pink nonpareils or edible confetti red hearts and place each cookie on parchment paper as you decorate them.
- Allow the chocolate to set until firm before decorating with the white chocolate and more sprinkles.
- Follow the same steps with the white chocolate. Allow the chocolate to set until firm before serving or storing in an airtight container.
- If the chocolate becomes stiff while decorating, place the bowl in the microwave and cook at full power for 10-15 seconds, then stir until smooth.
- Be careful not to burn the chocolate by getting it too hot.
- I spread the dark and white chocolates on alternating sides, tops and bottoms, so the patterns are random and give the cookies a pretty look.
- Sprinkle the decorations over separate paper towels (one for each decorating sprinkles) so you can return the excess to their bottles.
Do you struggle when it comes to making cookies? Then try My Top 10 Tips for Perfect Cookies.
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat. It’s our delicious recipe book full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years, with a few newer favorites as well! Our recipe book downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!
Chocoley has some of the most amazing products, like melting and drizzling chocolates, ready to use gourmet centers, flavoring oils and so much more. Check out their products, resources, tips and recipes, then go ahead and make a delicious Chocoley chocolate creation for you and your family.
Looking for more delicious recipes that say I love you!
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
If you enjoyed our Chocolate Decorated Heart Shaped Cookies, please share & comment. Thanks, we appreciate you!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.