Happy Cinco de Mayo, Sweet Readers! To help you celebrate this festive holiday we are sharing a delicious Chile Relleno Casserole. It has green chiles, diced jalapeño, sweet corn, Mexican cheese in an egg mixture, with a little spicy heat!
This Chile Relleno Casserole would be perfect for your Cinco de Mayo breakfast, lunch or dinner. We had it for dinner last night, topped with a little chunky salsa. Then this morning we enjoyed it for breakfast, served in a warm flour tortilla, and both ways were equally delicious!
I found this amazing recipe, added a few ingredients – to spice it up a bit, and thought it would be great for this special Mexican holiday!
We were with our friends from Brazil, Adriano and Cintia, the other day and went to a Mexican restaurant. I was telling them about my upcoming post for Chile Relleno Casserole and they said they love Chile Relleno. Well, John and I had never had Chile Relleno (I know, what?) and they were ordering it. So, we all ordered a plate of Chile Relleno, and it was really delicious!
This casserole is full of wholesome ingredients and it’s also a vegetarian dish. It makes a great meatless meal, even if you’re not a vegetarian. We think you’ll love this recipe, because of the tasty ingredients, and of course the gooey cheese.
We made it a little lighter by using 2% low-fat milk and 2% reduced-fat Mexican cheese. It saves on fat and calories but doesn’t change the yummy taste. We try to lighten up our recipes, whenever possible, and have many healthy and delicious ones to choose from.
So, let’s get cooking!
Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish.
- Evenly distribute the green chiles, sweet corn, jalapeño and scallions in layers, across the bottom of a greased casserole dish.
- Then evenly sprinkle 1 cup of the shredded cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture over the cheese layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with another cup of cheese and 2 sliced scallions. Return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown and the eggs are set.
Ok, you’re almost there…just a few more minutes in the oven and it’s done!
- Cut with a sharp knife and serve with soft, warm flour tortillas and salsa, or this casserole can be eaten by itself too.
If you enjoy Mexican foods, we think you’ll love the spicy flavors in this Mexican inspired casserole dish, and it’s easy to make too – so, that’s a big bonus!
We hope you try this Chile Relleno Casserole and enjoy it as much as we do. If you make it, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Chile Relleno Casserole
- 7 ounces chopped green chiles, thoroughly drained (1 can)
- 1 cup sweet corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced approximately 2 tablespoons
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced, reserve 2 scallions
- 7 ounces shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese, reserve 1 cup
- 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- Evenly distribute the green chiles, sweet corn, jalapeño and scallions in layers, across the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Then evenly sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper. Slowly pour the egg mixture over the cheese layer.
- Bake in a preheated oven 45 minutes. Remove from oven and top with another cup of cheese and 2 sliced scallions. Return to oven and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown and the eggs are set.
- If using frozen sweet corn, thaw and drain any liquid.
Recipe adapted from EatingWell
Looking for more delicious homestyle recipes? Then take a look at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat. It’s our delicious eCookbook with 50 tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for over 50 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!
Looking for more delicious recipes?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.