Add an additional 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and stir until combined.
Ummm…golden brown and full of flavor! I love casseroles because they taste great and they’re a whole meal in one dish, super easy and delicious! It’s even better when your husband is a good cook and makes it for you. Thanks so much for reading and I hope you enjoy this tasty, savory dish! Have a great weekend and see you soon!
More delicious chicken recipes to enjoy!
We hope you try our Chicken Broccoli Casserole and enjoy it as much as we do. If you make it, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating in the comments below and sharing it on social media. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 3 (3 ) broccoli crowns
- 2 tablespoons (29.57 ml) olive oil, separated
- 2-3 (2-3 ) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon (4.93 ml) salt, separated
- 1 teaspoon (4.93 ml) pepper, separated
- 1 tablespoon (14.79 ml) butter
- 1/2 (1/2 ) onion, chopped
- 2 (2 ) garlic cloves, minced
- 10.5 ounces (297.67 g) cream of mushroom soup (1 can)
- 1 cup (244 g) milk (approximately 3/4 soup can)
- 8 ounces (226.8 g) sauteed mushrooms, optional
- 1 slice (1 slice) whole wheat or white bread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse and cut broccoli into long spears. Place the broccoli into a medium saucepan with about a 1 1/2" of water plus 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook on high for 10-12 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a knife.
- Place one tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan. Cut the chicken breasts into strips and place it in the hot pan with the olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook chicken over medium heat, stirring often, until golden brown. Remove the cooked chicken from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan place one tablespoon butter and one tablespoon olive oil, over medium heat. Cook onions until translucent, approximately 2-3 minutes. Add the minced garlic cloves to the sauteed onions and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the cream of mushroom soup and 3/4 of a can of milk (1 cup) and an additional 1/2 teaspoon pepper, stir to combine.
- Optional: You can also saute 8 ounces of fresh, sliced mushrooms in a separate frying pan with one tablespoon butter and one tablespoon olive oil, over medium heat, until golden brown.
- Grease a 9" x 13" pan and put the cooked broccoli on the bottom. Optional: Add the mushrooms and evenly arrange the cooked chicken on top of the broccoli. Then pour the sauce over the broccoli and chicken.
For the breadcrumbs:
- Place one slice of bread in a food processor and grind until fine. Sprinkle evenly over the sauce. Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Then uncover and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.