These gorgeous Black Forest Cupcakes are moist chocolate cupcakes, with pretty swirls of the best buttercream frosting, and topped with juicy sweet cherries! My Dad and I love chocolate and cherries, and with Valentine’s Day coming up I wanted to make something special for him, and for you, our sweet readers.
So, I created these beautiful and delicious Black Forest Cupcakes. And, if you happen to be cutting calories (Aren’t we all?) then you’ll love them even more, because these cupcakes are also low in fat, using my helpful little tip!
Our Black Forest Cupcakes are so pretty and would be perfect for your Valentine. The combination of the rich chocolate, extra smooth & creamy buttercream frosting, and the juicy cherries is just fantastic!
They’re really quite easy. Just mix the cake batter, bake the cupcakes, swirl the buttercream frosting and top with cherries!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 muffin tins with 18 cupcake papers. In a large bowl add the cake mix, water, light mayonnaise and eggs, and mix according to the instructions on the cake box. Using a 3 oz scooper fill each cupcake paper approximately 3/4 full.
Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
*When using light mayonnaise you’ll need to be careful and not over bake them. See note below for perfectly moist cupcakes when using light mayonnaise.
Make the buttercream frosting while the cupcakes are cooling. Go ahead a take a little taste, it’s simply the best buttercream frosting you’ll ever taste! Fill a Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus with the frosting and attach the star tip.
Decorating is so easy when you have the right tools, like the Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus. I just love mine and use it all the time!
Go around the edge of the cupcake with the frosting to make a pretty swirl pattern. It’s perfectly okay if each swirl is a little different. But, you can practice on a piece of wax or parchment paper until you get the hang of it, if you’d like.
Now to make these little delicacies really shine! Use a fork and place 3-4 cherries on top, tapping off any excess cherry sauce on the edge of the can before adding them to the tops. That’s it, you’re done! Who wouldn’t love one of these beautiful and delicious cupcakes for Valentine’s Day?!
My Dad recently lost his sweetheart of 64 ½ years. Because my Mom passed away this past December, just a few days before Christmas, and right on their ½ wedding anniversary. So, I wanted to make him a little treat that showed him how much I love him. We had these yummy cupcakes, a couple of nights in a row, and he really enjoyed them!
My parents were best friends, had a great marriage and they truly loved each other. We all miss my Mom very much, but my heart aches for my Dad. We live in the same subdivision as my Dad, and are with him a lot, but it’s still very difficult for him without his sweetheart by his side.
Black Forest Cupcakes
- 15.25 ounces Devil's Food Cake Mix (1 box)
- 1 cup water
- 9 tablespoons light mayonnaise (1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 21 ounces cherry pie filling (1 can)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 muffin tins with 18 cupcake papers.
- In a large bowl add the cake mix, water, light mayonnaise and eggs, and mix according to the instructions on the cake box. Using a 3 oz scooper fill each cupcake paper approximately 3/4 full.
- Bake in a preheated oven for approximately 18-20 minutes. See note for perfectly moist cupcakes when using lite mayonnaise. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a saucepan whisk together the milk and flour. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until thickened. Set aside to cool until the bottom of the pan is warm to the touch. *See notes to quickly cooling the mixture. While the thickened milk mixture is cooling, combine and beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until light and creamy, about a minute. Take the cooled, thickened milk mixture and give it a stir. Adding a tablespoon at a time to the butter and sugar mixture, beat on medium-high speed until all the thickened milk mixture is added. Then beat an additional minute or two until the frosting is smooth and extra creamy.
- Fill a Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus with buttercream frosting and attach the star tip. Go around the edge of the cupcake to make a pretty swirl pattern.
- Use a fork and place 3-4 cherries on top, making sure to tap off any excess cherry sauce on the edge of the can before adding them to the tops.
- For perfectly moist cupcakes, when using light mayonnaise, make sure to check them a few minutes before the instructions on the cake box recommends. Cupcakes always bake up faster when using light mayonnaise.
- For the buttercream frosting: To quickly cool the thickened milk mixture place the saucepan in the freezer on a hot pad for 5-7 minutes. If the butter is really soft and the frosting doesn't seem thick or stiff enough, place the mixing bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes and beat again until smooth and extra creamy.
- I used a 3-ounce cookie scooper, for bigger cupcakes, and had some buttercream frosting and cherry pie filling leftover. Feel free to use a 2-ounce cookie scooper for the cake batter, to make approximately 24 cupcakes. This way you should use up all the buttercream frosting and cherry pie filling.
- Low calorie cake tip & toothpick tip
- Best Buttercream Frosting (step by step process)
- Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus
Hey, have you seen our 1st Cookbook Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s a delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There’s also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is perfect for gift-giving!
Looking for more delicious cupcake recipes?
Here are a few you may also enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.