TIP: Place the saucepan in the freezer on a hot pad for 5 – 7 minutes, to cool it down faster.
While the thickened milk mixture is cooling, combine and beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until light and creamy. Take the cooled, thickened milk mixture and give it a stir. Then add a tablespoon at a time to the butter mixture, beating on medium-high speed until all the milk mixture is added. Beat an additional minute or two until the frosting is smooth and extra creamy.
You can see how creamy and velvety smooth this frosting is. But, when you taste it, you’ll know why we call it the Best Buttercream Frosting!
Next, I’ll be sharing another one of my all-time favorite frosting recipes. Then I’ll show you how to use them both to make some beautiful bridal shower cupcakes, that are perfect for Valentine’s Day too!
We hope you try our creamy frosting and enjoy it as much as we do. If you make it, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Best Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup (236.59 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (31.25 g) unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (227 g) butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) white sugar
- 1 teaspoon (4.93 ml) vanilla extract
- In a saucepan whisk together the milk and the flour. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until thickened, this will take a few minutes. Set aside to cool until the bottom of the pan is warm to the touch. *To cool mixture quickly see note below.
- While the thickened milk mixture is cooling, beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl until light and creamy, about a minute.
- Take the cooled, thickened milk mixture and give it a stir. Then add a tablespoon at a time to the butter mixture, beating on medium-high speed until all the milk mixture is added. Beat an additional minute or two until the frosting is smooth and extra creamy.
- To quickly cool the thickened milk mixture, place the saucepan in the freezer on a hot pad for 5 - 7 minutes.
- If the butter is really soft and the frosting seems like it isn't thick enough, place the mixing bowl in the fridge for 10 minutes and beat again until smooth and extra creamy.
- (1) 9" x 13" cake
- (2) 9" round cakes
- 24 cupcakes
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!