Light and buttery with a kiss of strawberry jam, our Thumbprint Cookies taste like delicious snowballs topped off with a little sweetness! Christmas is coming and these 2-bite cookies are great for parties and gift-giving.
These little gems melt in your mouth. If you love a delicate, buttery cookie (that’s not too sweet) then this, my friend, may become your new favorite holiday cookie!
Wouldn’t these dainty, red and white cookies be beautiful on your Christmas dessert platters? And, your family and friends will love ’em!
They also make a Pretty Thank You Gift. We packaged up a few and gave them to our lawn lady and mailman, along with a Christmas card and a gift of money.
So, let’s get baking:
- In a large bowl add 2 1/4 cups flour, 3/4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup slightly melted butter and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Blend on low speed until combined.
- Add 1 egg yolk and mix on low speed until combined again.
- Make dough balls with a small (1 oz) cookie scooper and roll in sugar. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper about 1 1/2″ apart.
- Take the end of a wooden spoon and make a hole in the center of each dough ball.
Pro Tip: Very gently push the end of the wooden spoon into the dough only about 1/2 way down. Because pushing it too hard, or too far down, may crack the sides of the cookie, or make the bottom too thin.
The centers look like bright little rubies – dazzling!
- Fill each hole with a little jam.
Pro Tips: Put a little jam on the end of one spoon, then take the other spoon and neatly slide it into the hole. Feel free to use any flavor red jam you’d like. We love seedless strawberry jam, so that’s what we used.
- Bake in a preheated 350º F oven for 12-16 minutes, or until very light golden in color. *Being careful not to over-bake.
- Cool completely before storing them in an airtight container.
Pro Tips: Adding the jam before baking makes the jam set up nicely, so it doesn’t run off the cookies. We used seedless strawberry jam to create smooth, shiny centers.
So soft and buttery and the jam is the perfect compliment to these cookies. We hope you try our Thumbprint Cookies and enjoy them as much as we do. If you do make them, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, slightly melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup sugar, for rolling
- 1/4 cup seedless strawberry or raspberry jam, for filling
- Preheat oven to 350º F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add the flour, confectioners sugar, salt, slightly melted butter and vanilla extract. Blend on low speed until combined.
- Add the egg yolk and mix on low until combined again.
- Make dough balls with a small (1 oz) cookie scooper and roll in sugar. Place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper about 1 1/2" apart.
- Take the end of a wooden spoon and make a hole in the center of each dough ball, then fill each hole with a little jam.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 12-16 minutes, or until very light golden in color. *Being careful not to over-bake.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Over baking will make these cookies dry.
These cookies freeze well and thaw quickly, which is perfect for holiday dessert platters.
Watch How to Make It
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat. It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years, with a few newer family favorites as well! Our eCookbook downloads beautifully is only $4.99 and perfect for gift-giving. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee! ?
Looking for more delicious holiday cookie recipes?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.