If you crave Mexican chicken dishes, then you are going to love our Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos! They have tender chicken, with the perfect spice and a few added veggies for extra flavor and color. Wrap this shredded chicken in soft tortilla shells, with tasty toppings for an easy, healthy meal that really satisfies! We’re so excited to share a RECIPE VIDEO, you’ll find it after the recipe!
My sister, Darlene found this recipe but added chopped onions and peppers, switched out the broth for a can of chicken gumbo soup, and she also added some sweet corn. She and her family loved it, then she told our sister, Charlene (yes, they’re twins).
Well, Charlene added some black beans to Darlene’s recipe and her family thought these chicken tacos were great too! After 2 recommendations we couldn’t wait to try them for ourselves. But, we reduced the taco seasoning by 1/3, to lower the sodium (and the chicken was perfectly seasoned, in our opinion), and we added both the sweet corn and the black beans.
Since this recipe is tried & true, and super delicious, we felt it was worthy of sharing with our Sweet readers.
Except for a little dicing and mixing, this meal is pretty much a dump and go recipe (see recipe video below). As a bonus, it’s high in protein, but low in fat and calories – SCORE! We love the addition of sweet corn and black beans because they add a visual appeal and extra nutrition too. We give these chicken tacos a 5-star rating for sure!
Hey, with the holidays coming we think you’ll want to keep this low fat, high protein recipe handy because it’s a healthy choice for dinner, every now and then.
So, let’s get slow cooking:
- In a medium bowl thoroughly combine one (10.5 oz) can chicken gumbo soup, 2 tablespoons taco seasoning, 1/2 cup diced onions, and 1/2 diced peppers.
- Put the chicken breasts in a slow cooker and pour the soup mixture evenly over them. Cover and cook on high for 3 1/2 hours, or on low for 7 hours.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks.
- Add 1/2 cup sweet corn and 1/2 cup black beans. Mix together gently, cover and cook on high for an additional 15 minutes.
Pro Tip: Don’t overmix the corn and black beans into the chicken after shredding it. Because overmixing may result in mushy chicken.
Scoop the chicken mixture onto soft tortilla shells and top with your favorite Mexican toppings. John and I enjoyed these Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos for dinner one night and for lunch the next day – they were so good!
So, if you’re looking for an easy dinner, that’s actually good for you, give our delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos a try! We hope you do and enjoy them as much as we did. If you make this dish, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10.5 oz) can chicken gumbo soup
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced green peppers
- ½ cup sweet corn
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 soft tortilla shells
- Optional toppings:
- Shredded lettuce
- Grated cheese
- Light or regular sour cream
- Sliced jalapeños
- Sliced black olives
- In a medium bowl thoroughly combine the chicken gumbo soup, taco seasoning, diced onions, and diced peppers.
- Put the chicken breasts in a slow cooker and pour the soup mixture evenly over them. Cover and cook on high for 3½ hours, or on low for 7 hours.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks and add the sweet corn and black beans. Mix together gently, cover and cook on high for an additional 15 minutes.
- Scoop the chicken mixture onto soft tortilla shells and top with your favorite Mexican toppings.
When reheating, add a tablespoon or two of water to the chicken mixture. This will keep it nice and juicy.
Watch How to Make It!
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat. It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully is only $4.99 and perfect for gift-giving. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee! 🙂
Looking for more delicious chicken recipes?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.