Our delicious Homestyle Chicken and Rice Soup is like a big warm hug to your soul! It has a savory blend of vegetables and rice, in a thick and creamy broth, for an exceptional bowl of comfort food your family will absolutely love!
This homestyle soup goes perfectly with our crusty artisan bread. And, if you happen to be intimidated by homemade yeast bread recipes, I know how you feel because I was too a few years ago.
But, trust me, once you make a batch or two of our homemade bread, with our easy step by step instructions, your fears will simply melt away. Also, making bread is a lot of fun, so go ahead and give homemade bread a try!
Now, we know it’s the first day of spring, but unfortunately, there’s still a lot of cold weather out there. And, this hearty Homestyle Chicken and Rice Soup is guaranteed to warm your heart and soul.
It’s also low in calories and fat, which is perfect for all of us trying to lose a little weight before the warmer weather comes along. Lucky us, living here in Florida we get to wear swim suits just about year round. It tends to be a little cooler here January through March, so we like to take advance during this time and make a lot of hearty warm meals.
Place the chicken breasts in a large pot, add enough water to cover the chicken and add the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and cook 45 minutes. While the chicken is boiling, chop your veggies and mince the garlic.
Remove the chicken from the pot, cool slightly and shred or cut into pieces. Add the chopped veggies and minced garlic, parsley and bay leaves to the pot.
Pour in an additional 6-8 cups of water. Stir in the chicken bouillon paste, lower the heat, but keep it simmering and cook 20 minutes.
We recently did a post about arsenic in rice. Did you know there’s arsenic in rice? Unfortunately, there is, but we have some easy ways to reduce arsenic levels in rice. So, check those handy tips out before using rice in this soup, or in any recipe.
Next, stir in all that savory chopped chicken and uncooked rice. Oh, you’re almost there…just a few more minutes.
Another great thing about this soup is that it’s all done in one pot because you don’t need to cook the rice before adding it. Just throw it in, after prepping it, of course, cover, simmer and you’re good to go.
For some reason, I’ve always been really good at making homemade soups and cookies, both have always been my specialties. We would bring a big container of soup over to John’s parents, and my Mother-in-law would say, “Heather can sure make some good soup!”
Bring the pot to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer an additional 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the broth is the desired consistency. It’s the chicken and rice that thickens this pot to a rich, hearty soup.
I’ve made this soup twice recently because it’s so good! If you have a soup lover in your life, make them a big pot of this amazing soup, then sit back and watch them smile.
We hope you try our Homestyle Chicken and Rice Soup and enjoy it as much as we do. If you make it, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
- 1 3/4 pounds bone-in, or boneless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6-8 cups water, or enough to cover the chicken
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, or 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Bay leaves
- 6-8 cups additional water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon paste, similar to L.B. Jamison's Soup Base
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice, link below on how to reduce arsenic levels
- Place the chicken breasts in a large pot, add 6-8 cups water, or enough to cover the chicken, and add the salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes.
- While the chicken is boiling, chop the onions, celery, and carrots, and mince the garlic.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, cool slightly and shred or cut into pieces. See note below if using bone-in chicken breasts.
Add the onions, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley and bay leaves to the pot.
- Pour in an additional 6-8 cups of water. Stir in the chicken bouillon paste, lower the heat, but keep it simmering and cook 20 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken and uncooked rice. See link below to reduce arsenic levels in rice. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer an additional 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the broth is the desired consistency.
If using bone-in chicken breasts; strain the broth into a large bowl to remove any small bones, then put the broth back into the pot.
Hey, have you seen our 1st Cookbook Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s a delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is perfect for gift-giving!
Looking for more delicious soup recipes?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!
If you enjoyed our Homestyle Chicken and Rice Soup, please share & comment. Thanks, we appreciate you!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.