My Mom’s Chicken Salad is the absolute best! It’s full of tender chicken, creamy but with a lighter texture and the chopped celery and toasted sliced almonds gives it a delicious crunch our family loves. My Mom has been making this chicken salad my whole life and everyone that tries it really enjoys it!
We had my Mom’s Chicken Salad on buttery crescent rolls, with a side of fresh fruit and potato chips for lunch recently with our friend, Kim. What an easy but super delicious lunch for us girls!
I promised I would bring you my Mom’s Chicken Salad when I shared my sister, Darlene’s Chocolate Marble Cheesecake. I apologize for the delay, we’ve been traveling a lot and the holidays were very busy, as always. Our Chocolate Marble Cheesecake was so good, you can see it at the opposite end of the table.
By the way, my Mom sets a beautiful table. Don’t you think?
If you have nut allergies, or don’t care for them, just leave them off the top. With or without the toasted sliced almonds my Mom’s Chicken Salad is incredible!
Funny little story, my Mom was showing me two different chicken salad recipes in one of our old church cookbooks. Then she said, but this one is my “favorite” and pointed to her chicken salad recipe. I said to her, well, that recipe has your name on it Mom! We both laughed because she actually forgot that was her personal recipe that she submitted to the cookbook committee many, many years ago.
- 4 cups chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds
- Place the chicken breasts and salt in a pan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until chicken is tender. Reserve 1/4 - 1/3 cup of the chicken broth. Cool and cube chicken.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the cooled chicken, except for the sliced almonds. Stir to combine and add additional salt, if desired. Cover and chill in refrigerator 1-2 hours, or until ready to serve.
- Before serving, sprinkle with the toasted sliced almonds (see note below for toasting almonds) and serve on croissants or fresh rolls.