This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ad #CampaignHashtag #CollectiveBias #YesYouCAN
Life can get a little crazy and that’s why our family loves the ease of one pot recipes. So, today I’m sharing a healthier, low-fat entrée that’s super delicious. It’s our One Pot Sweet Italian Sausage Pasta, using two of Hunt’s amazing canned tomatoes along with some fresh vegetables from Walmart! This meal has low-fat sweet Italian turkey sausage, chopped red onions, green peppers and mushrooms to keep it fresh, and whole wheat penne pasta. It’s a great recipe that’s full of savory flavors and light on calories too!
Hunt’s seasoned diced tomatoes and tomato sauce simmered with veggies and hearty whole wheat noodles, makes this a winning meal your family is sure to love!
*If your kids don’t like vegetables, do what I did when our kids were little, pop them in the blender with a little sauce, put the lid on and give them a whirl. That way you get the wonderful flavors and nutrition but they won’t be able to find the vegetables. Sneaky, right?
When you shop at Walmart you’ll want to head down the isle where the canned vegetables are.
The Hunt’s tomato products happened to be right under the ‘Tomato Sauce’ sign at my Walmart store. So, they were super easy to find!
I just love Walmart because they offer fresh pre-chopped and sliced vegetables that are recipe ready, which is a big time saver! And, the chopped red onions and sliced mushrooms came in neat little-dated packages, so you know you’re always getting the freshest produce.
We used Hunt’s tomato sauce and their diced tomatoes with Basil, Garlic, and Oregano. Wow, they added so much flavor to this recipe that we didn’t need to add any spices! Now, that’s another time-saver for busy cooks.
Make sure to check out Walmart’s fresh produce selection because they have so many choices and varieties of vegetables. And, by using their chopped and sliced ready to use vegetables, dinner can be simple, nutritious and super delicious!
Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, in a dutch oven or skillet over high heat. Add the turkey sausage with the casing removed. Stir, brown and crumble the sausage as it cooks about 5 minutes.
Add the chopped onions and green peppers and cook until tender, about 2 minutes.
Note: Turkey sausage is very lean and low in fat, so you’ll want to add a little olive oil to the pan before adding the turkey sausage. See notes below if using a non-stick skillet.
Remove the meat and veggies to a bowl and set aside.
Add another 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and the mushrooms to the pot. Stir and brown over high heat for 2-3 minutes.
Add the meat, onions and green peppers back to the pot with the mushrooms, along with the water, Hunt’s diced tomatoes, Hunt’s tomato sauce and the uncooked penne pasta. Stir to combine and bring to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 15 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring once or twice.
Turn off the heat. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and put the lid on for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Then add a little-dried parsley and serve. Go ahead and dig into that cheesy gooey pot – it’s deliciously light and so full of flavor too!
- 2-4 tablespoon olive oil, separated
- ¾ lb sweet Italian turkey sausage, casing removed
- ½ cup red onions, chopped (about ½ medium onion)
- ½ cup green peppers, chopped (about ½ medium pepper)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 (14.5 oz) can Hunt's Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic
- 1 (8 oz) can Hunt's Tomato Sauce
- 8 oz whole wheat penne noodles, uncooked (approximately 2½ cups dry)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a dutch oven or skillet over high heat. Add the turkey sausage (casing removed). Stir, brown and crumble the sausage as it
cooks,about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped onions and green peppers and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Remove the meat and veggies to a bowl and set aside.
- Add another 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and the mushrooms to the pot. Stir and brown over high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the meat, onions and green peppers back to the pot, along with the water, Hunt's diced tomatoes, Hunt's tomato sauce and the uncooked penne pasta. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook 15 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring once or twice.
- Turn off the heat. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and put the lid on for 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Then sprinkle the dried parsley and serve.
Recipe adapted from Hunts.com
If you’re looking for some really delicious recipes for your family and friends, make sure to check out the selection at Hunts.com, there’s something for everyone and so many recipes to choose from. I’d love to hear about your new favorite recipe!
Also, you’ll want to go to Yes You CAN to get great coupons and more delicious recipes & tips!
Looking for more delicious entrées?
Here are a few you might also enjoy!