Today I’m sharing a recipe for my delicious Mini Pineapple Upside Down Cakes that are lower in fat too. It’s my first skinny recipe of the year and I think you and your family are really going to enjoy them! Everyone loves pineapple upside down cake for its gooey, fruity topping and these moist little gems are also super cute. Like many of my light cake recipes I used my lower calorie cake tip, saving these delicious mini cakes a lot of fat & calories! But, I promise, you’d never guess it’s a lighter recipe because they’re yummy and super moist too.
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can 20 ounce pineapple chunks, drained
- 12 Maraschino cherries, drained and cut in halves
- 1 16.5 ounce Duncan Hines Signature Pineapple Supreme cake mix
- 1 - package 3.4 ounce vanilla instant pudding
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- Generously spray or grease two (2) cupcake pans.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl, add the brown sugar and stir well. Place a teaspoon of the buttery brown sugar mixture in the bottom of each cup.
- Cut the maraschino cherries in halves and drain the pineapple chunks. Put two (2) pieces of pineapple and a cherry half (rounded side down) in the center of the buttery brown sugar mixture.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the cake mix, vanilla instant pudding, low-fat mayonnaise, eggs and water in a mixing bowl and blend according to the directions on the cake box.
- Take a medium sized cookie scooper (approximately 1/4 cup) and pour the batter over the buttery brown sugar and fruit pieces. Smooth the cake batter with the back of a spoon, making sure to cover the fruit.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 17-20 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in pans. See notes for removing the mini cakes.
There were exactly the right amount of pineapple chunks for each mini cake to have two (2) chunks.
I used my lower calorie cake tip to make these mini cakes healthier and to save on calories & fat!
After cooling 10 minutes; slide a sharp knife around the edges of each mini cake, make sure the cakes are loose by gently moving them side to side. Then place a cooling rack on top of the cakes, carefully flip it over and lightly tap the bottoms before lifting off the pans.
Best served warm, just out of the pans. You may also enjoy them with a little
fresh sweet whipped cream.