Our Amazing Pull Apart Rolls would be the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. They’re flaky, soft and buttery with a touch of sweetness, which in our opinion is everything an amazing pull apart roll should be! I developed this recipe from a couple of my bread recipes and have made these rolls twice, and they turned out so good I just had to share them with you.
Make the dough, let rise, knead, shape the dough into balls and let rise again. When the dough balls are double in bulk, place in a preheated 350 degrees F oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Next, brush the hot rolls with melted butter.
Oh my, just look at those buttery, golden brown pull apart rolls! And as they cool, the butter magically soaks into the rolls and disappears!
Next, carefully put the hot buttery rolls onto a cooling rack. This first batch was taken to a dinner for our new community and they were gone in a minute. The second batch was made for Chelsea and Kenny, who was here visiting a little early for Thanksgiving, and they loved them too! We got to see our little grand-daughter, Laila. She’s so beautiful and we had a lot of fun while they were here.
You can see how light and flaky these pull apart rolls really are. Now, just getcha some butter (yes, just a little bit for the inside of the rolls) and enjoy!
We sure hope you try our Amazing Pull Apart Rolls, and your family enjoys them with their Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners too! If you make them, please snap a picture and tag us on social media @MySweetMission or #MySweetMission. We’d love to see it!
Also, please consider giving this recipe a star rating, sharing it or leaving a comment. Thanks, we really appreciate it!
Our Amazing Pull Apart Rolls are flaky, soft and buttery with just a touch of sweetness! The perfect bread rolls for the holidays and your everyday table!
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 ounce dry active yeast (1 packet)
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature and beaten
- 4 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Heat the milk and butter in the microwave until warm and the butter is melted, give it a stir. Add the sugar and yeast, stir again and set aside for a few minutes. Then add the room temperature beaten egg and stir again.
- Measure the flour and salt and whisk together in a bread container or mixing bowl. Add the milk/yeast/egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. Put the lid on (with a hole in the top) or leave one side open a little. Let rise about one (1) hour, or until double in bulk.
- Punch down the dough and flour the counter or a cutting board. Knead the dough for a couple minutes. Shape into twelve (12) rolls and place them in a greased 9" x 13" baking pan. Let rise about one (1) hour, or until double in bulk again.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the rolls in a preheated oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the tops of the rolls are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and brush the tops of the hot rolls with the melted butter. Use a large spatula to carefully lift the rolls out of the pan and place them on a cooling rack. Serve warm with butter, honey or jam or cool completely before storing in an airtight container or plastic bag.
To warm the milk and butter: Put them in a microwaveable safe bowl and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes at 100% power, stir. Let sit a minute or two, or until the butter is melted, then stir again.
To bring an egg to room temperature quickly: Gently place an egg in a cup of warm tap water, allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
This dough is a little wetter than most bread doughs, so the additional flour will help with the kneading and shaping.
For smooth rolls: Dust hands with flour well, pull the dough under to smooth the tops and pinch the bottoms of each dough ball.
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!