I’m excited because recently I entered a contest for Driscoll’s Strawberry Shortcake Recipe. They were kind enough to send me coupons for their delicious strawberries, but all opinions and images are completely my own. I love strawberry shortcakes and the winner of this fun contest gets a year’s supply of free strawberries! Woohoo, Yay for free strawberries!! I wanted to make something different and definitely off the charts delicious so, I’m shaking up the traditional strawberry shortcakes and using our delicate and buttery Brown Sugar Shortbread Cookies instead. I sure hope our new recipe takes the cake!
These tender shortbread cakes melt in your mouth, a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream is covered with sweetened juicy strawberries, then it’s all topped off with homemade sweet whipped cream!
To assemble: Place a shortbread cookie on a plate or in a bowl. Put a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on, then drizzle a spoonful of sweetened strawberries. Place another shortbread cookie on top of the strawberries, then a pretty swirl of sweet whipped cream.
I used a Wilton Dessert Decorator Plus to make pretty whip cream swirls.
- 2 cups softened butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar (for dusting)
- 2 pounds (2 quart containers) Driscoll's Strawberries, approximately 6 cups
- 1 cup white sugar, or to taste
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
In a mixing bowl beat the butter until creamy. Add the brown sugar, vanilla extract, and salt and beat until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low or stir speed, add one cup of flour at a time and mix until smooth. Evenly spread the dough into an 11" x 17" baking pan. Score the cookies into 24 or 48 pieces. Sprinkle with the granulated sugar and shake gently to distribute evenly, then prick with a fork. Bake in a preheated oven for 17 - 20 minutes, or until light golden brown. Cool before cutting.
- Rinse and cut strawberries. Pour sugar over the berries and stir gently. Allow to set for 15 - 30 minutes, or until the sugar dissolves. Stir gently occasionally.
- In a mixing bowl combine the heavy whipping cream, confectioners sugar, and vanilla extract. Mix on low speed until slightly thickened and then on high speed until you have stiff peaks. Keep cold until ready to assemble the shortbread cakes.
Place a shortbread cookie on a plate or in a bowl. Put a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream on, then drizzle a spoonful of sweetened strawberries. Place another shortbread cookie on top of the strawberries, then a pretty dollop of sweet whipped cream.
Get my step by step shortbread cookie instructions at my Brown Sugar Shortbread Cookies post.
Driscoll’s has been growing strawberries for over a hundred years!
Other interesting facts about Driscoll’s:
Hungry for more delicious strawberry recipes?
Here are a few of our favorites!
This post is shared at: I Heart Nap Time – Clever Chicks Blog Hop – Bouquet of Talent Sunday Linky Party – Inspire Me Tuesday – Fluster’s Creative Muster Party – Creative Ways Link Party – Saturday Sparks Link Party