I have an amazing homestyle recipe for you today straight from my Mom’s kitchen. It’s her Homestyle Chicken Pot Pie Recipe and it’s super delicious! She has made this pot pie four times now, and every time it turns out perfect, so it’s definitely blog-worthy. This chicken pot pie by far tops the best you can buy and you can impress your family and friends when you tell them you made it from scratch! It’s easy to make because you can use a prepared refrigerated pie crust, or step it up a notch and use my flaky pie crust recipe.
Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool for approximately 10 minutes before serving.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour, unbleached or all-purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C.)
- In a saucepan, combine the chicken, salt, carrots, peas and celery. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set broth aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in the flour, pepper and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Stirring constantly with a whisk, simmer over medium-low heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and add the chicken and vegetables.
- Spray a 10 inch square baking dish, or a 9 inch deep dish pie pan, then pour the chicken mixture into the prepared dish.
- Roll out the pie crust to fit the top of your baking dish. Place it over the chicken mixture and make several small slits to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool for approximately 10 minutes before serving.
The pattern my Mom used on top of the crust is how her Mother always did it. But, feel free to make yours with any design.
Recipe adapted from Chicken Pot Pie IX.
Other savory chicken recipes you may also enjoy!
Thanks, we appreciate you!
This recipe is shared at: I Heart Nap Time – Five Little Chefs – Clever Chicks Blog Hop – Bouquet of Talent Sunday Linky Party – Inspire Me Tuesday – Fluster’s Creative Muster Party – All Things Thursday Blog Hop – Saturday Sparks Link Party –