I recently shared a recipe for my Luscious Coconut Lemon Bars. It was so popular here on My Sweet Mission, and I needed to make some dessert bars for a wedding dress rehearsal dinner, so I decided to make a batch of my Sweet and Tart Lemon Bars. They turned out awesome! The process is the same as my Luscious Coconut Lemon Bars and I think these sweet and tart little bars are a sensation you’ll definitely want to make again and again.
A delicate buttery shortbread crust with a sweet and tart lemon filling, sprinkled with confectioners sugar! These are lemon bar perfection in our book.
For the crust: Put the flour, cold butter (cubed) and the confectioners sugar into a food processor. Pulse for 10-15 seconds, or until the butter is pea-sized.
It should look similar to this.
Pour the crust mixture into a sprayed 9″ x 13″ baking pan.
Tip: Cover with wax paper (to keep it off your hands) and press until even and firm.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 15 minutes.
Note: Crust will not be completely baked.
Whip up the lemon filling ingredients.
Pour the lemon filling mixture over the hot crust. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for another 20-25 minutes, or until the filling doesn’t jiggle.
Cool the bars completely before dusting with confectioners sugar, then cut into bars.
- For the crust:
- 2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, very cold & cubed
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- For the filling:
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup fresh or concentrated lemon juice (approximately juice of 2 lemons)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- For sprinkling the top:
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- For the crust: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the first 3 ingredients into a food processor and pulse for 10-15 seconds, or until the butter is pea-sized. Pour this crust mixture into a sprayed 9" x 13" baking pan. Place a piece of wax paper over the mixture and press until even and firm. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- For the filling: Place the remaining ingredients, except for the confectioners sugar, into a mixing bowl. Beat on low until blended and then on medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour the filling over the hot crust.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the filling doesn't jiggle.
- Cool the bars completely before dusting with confectioners sugar, then cut into bars.
Always zest lemons before juicing them because it's difficult to zest lemons once they are juiced.
Looking for more delicious lemon desserts?
Here are a couple might also enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.