Stir in the mix-ins and pour 1-2 tablespoons of milk or cream over top. Be creative, you can add dried tart cherries instead of the raisins, fresh or frozen berries, a dash of cinnamon and/or vanilla and any variety of natural sweeteners.
These simple & delicious ingredients will add great nutrition to your oatmeal, for a heart healthy breakfast!
- 1/3 cup rolled oats or instant oatmeal
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, honey or other sweetener, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1-2 tablespoon milk or cream
- Place oatmeal and water in a microwavable safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1-1 1/2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts, ground flaxseed meal, brown sugar and raisins. Top with 1-2 tablespoons milk or cream.
Calories for this oatmeal breakfast:
- Rolled oats – 100 calories
- Walnuts – 40 calories
- Ground flaxseed meal – 10 calories
- Brown sugar – 50 calories
- Raisins – 30 calories
- Cream (half & half) – 40 calories
My oatmeal with all the ingredients above has only 270 calories! You can also sweeten your oatmeal with great tasting Truvia Natural Sweetener, which saves you 50 calories!
10 Awesome Health Benefits of Oatmeal:
- Oatmeal lowers cholesterol
- It can reduce the risk of developing high blood pressure
- It’s full of antioxidants
- It prevents the arteries from hardening
- Oatmeal can help prevent the development of breast cancer
- It stabilizes blood sugar
- It can also help prevent the development of diabetes
- It gives the immune system a boost
- Eating oatmeal can help prevent weight gain
- Most oatmeal is gluten-free, but check the package
These 10 awesome health benefits of oatmeal were found here.