Cover a 15″ x 10″ x 1″ baking sheet with aluminum foil and line up the saltine crackers.
Combine the butter and the brown sugar in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and cook for four (4) minutes. Pour the hot toffee evenly over the saltine crackers.
Bake for 5-6 minutes in a preheated 400 degrees F oven, or until bubbly all over.
Turn the oven off and remove the baking sheet from the oven. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot toffee. Put the baking sheet back in the oven for one (1) minute. Take the baking sheet out of the oven again, and spread the soft chocolate with the back of a spoon.
Sprinkle with chopped cashews, or your favorite roasted & salted nuts. Allow to cool and the chocolate to setup before cutting into bars.
Cut into bars with a sharp knife or break into pieces. These Saltine Cracker Toffee Bars are perfect for holiday parties or to give as gifts!
- 35 saltine crackers, also known as soda crackers
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- ¾ cup chopped salted cashews, or other roasted & salted nuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and cover a 15" x 10" x 1" baking sheet with aluminum foil and line up the saltine crackers.
- Combine the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil and cook for 4 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium-low about half way through the cooking time.
- Pour the hot toffee mixture over the crackers, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for 5-6 minutes, or until bubbly all over. Watch carefully, so not to burn the toffee.
- Turn the oven off, remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot toffee. Place the baking sheet back in the oven for one (1) minute (with the oven off), just to melt the chocolate chips.
- Once the chocolate chips are soft, spread over the toffee with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the chopped salted cashews, or your favorite roasted & salted nuts, over the melted chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate about 1 hour, or until the chocolate is set. Cut with a sharp knife or break into pieces. Eat and enjoy!
These bars freeze well, so they're perfect for Christmas dessert platters!
Hungry for more delicious dessert bars & squares?
Here are a few you may also love!