First, make the pie crust (recipe below). Put ½ the dough in a 9″ pie pan, cut off the excess dough and make a pretty design. This incredibly flaky crust is the same as the Brown Paper Bag Apple Pie Crust recipe.
Bake the crust in a preheated 400 degrees F oven until golden brown, approximately 15-18 minutes. Then allow it to cool while you make the coconut cream filling.
For the coconut cream filling: Mix the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and the dash of salt in a saucepan, then add the milk. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until it thickens, remove from heat. Add the butter, vanilla extract and coconut, stir well and allow to cool thoroughly.
- For the flaky pie crust:
- 1 cup flour, unbleached or all-purpose
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (1/2 stick Crisco)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water (icy cold)
- For the coconut cream filling:
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups very warm milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut
- For the sweet whipped cream and toasted coconut:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut, optional but really good
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- For the flaky crust: Cube the vegetable shortening into cubes. Measure the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl, then add the vegetable shortening. With clean hands, mix thoroughly until shortening is pea-sized. Take the ice water and pour it into the flour and shortening mixture. Mix just until it forms a ball, do not over mix. Take the dough and knead it just a few times. Using a rolling pin, roll out to about ¼" thick. Fold the dough in half, then place it in a 9" pie pan. Unfold the dough and press it evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie pan. Cut around the outside edge with a knife and make a pretty design, if desired. Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven until golden brown, approximately 15-18 minutes.
- For the coconut cream filling: Mix the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and the dash of salt together in a saucepan then add the very warm milk. Stirring constantly with a whisk, cook over medium heat until it thickens. Remove from heat. Add the butter, vanilla extract and coconut, stir well. Cool thoroughly (about an hour in the fridge) and pour into the baked and cooled pie crust.
- For the sweet whipped cream: Place the (very cold) heavy whipping cream in a mixing bowl. Start the mixer on the lowest speed with the whipping attachment, then gradually go to medium/high speed. When it forms soft peaks, add the confectioners sugar and vanilla extract. Beat on medium/high until stiff peaks form. Spread on top of the coconut filling.
- How to Toast Coconut (link below with steps): Take 1/2 cup coconut, put it in a pan and stir constantly over medium heat. Cook until golden brown. Allow to cool completely and sprinkle over the whipped cream.
One hour of the cook time is actually the time needed for the coconut cream filling to cool in the fridge.
Looking for more delicious pie recipes?
Here are a few of our family favorites!
The holidays are over and January is always a perfect time to eat healthier. So, January will be sprinkled with some light & healthy baking & cooking tips, along with some healthy recipes too! But don’t worry, healthy can be super delicious!
Have a beautiful day friends and if you’re celebrating tonight, please be safe, have fun and Happy New Year to you!