Make the cookie dough and spread it in a greased 9″ x 13″ pan, then evenly sprinkle the chips over the dough. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 7 minutes.
Remove the bars from the oven. Here’s what the dough and chocolate chips look like after 7 minutes of baking.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour, unbleached or all-purpose
- 1 1/4 cup ground oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Ingredients for the caramel sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the butter, sugars and salt in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy, approximately one minute on medium speed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on low until blended and then on medium until fluffy, about a minute.
- Add the flour, ground oats, baking powder and baking soda. Beat on low until well blended, but do not over mix.
- Spread dough in a greased 9" x 13" pan and evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips over the dough. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove the bars from the oven, take a knife and swirl the melted chocolate chips through the warm dough. Put the pan back into the oven and bake for an additional 22-25 minutes, or until light golden brown and the dough in the middle does not juggle when you tap the side of the pan.
- For the caramel sauce: In a saucepan over medium heat combine the above ingredients and bring them to a simmer. Lower the heat and keep it at a simmer. Cook stirring constantly for an additional two minutes. Pour the hot caramel over the hot bars and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the caramel, cut into bars and enjoy!
Helpful link: How to Grind Oats
Hungry for more delicious dessert bar recipes?
Here are a few of our favorites!