If you love gooey caramel, nuts & chocolate then you’re going to love our Turtle Walnut Chocolate Swirl Bars! With the word ‘Turtle’ in the name you know it’s going to be scrumptious! It starts out with a delicious cookie dough and melted semi-sweet chocolate chips are swirled through, then a gooey caramel sauce and finally we’ll top the whole thing off with chopped walnuts! Did I just hear you say yummy? I thought so. 🙂
Make the cookie dough and spread it in a greased 9″ x 13″ pan, then evenly sprinkle the chips over the dough. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 7 minutes.
Remove the bars from the oven. Here’s what the dough and chocolate chips look like after 7 minutes of baking.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup ground oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Put the butter, sugars, and salt in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy, approximately one minute on medium speed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Beat on low until blended and then on medium until fluffy, about a minute.
- Add the flour, ground oats, baking powder and baking soda. Beat on low until well blended, but do not over mix.
Spread dough in a greased 9" x 13" pan and evenly sprinkle the chocolate chips over the dough. Bake in a preheated oven for 7 minutes.
- Remove the bars from the oven, take a knife and swirl the melted chocolate chips through the warm dough. Put the pan back into the oven and bake for an additional 22-25 minutes, or until light golden brown and the dough in the middle does not jiggle when you tap the side of the pan.
In a saucepan over medium heat combine the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt and bring them to a simmer. Lower the heat and keep it at a simmer. Cook stirring constantly for an additional two minutes. Pour the hot caramel over the hot bars and spread evenly with a spatula.
Sprinkle the chopped walnuts over the caramel. Cool 20 minutes, cut into bars and enjoy!
Spraying the measuring cup before measuring the corn syrup will help it to slide out easily.
Take a peek at Savory ~ Sweet ~ Repeat? It’s our delicious eCookbook full of tried & true family favorite recipes: 25 savory & 25 sweet. All of them are from this blog and some our family has enjoyed for 50 & even 60 years! There are also a few newer family favorites as well. Our eCookbook downloads beautifully and is only $4.99. Plus, it comes with a 100% happiness guarantee. So, get yours today!
Hungry for more delicious dessert bar recipes?
Here are a few of our favorites!
If you enjoyed our Turtle Walnut Chocolate Swirl Bars, please share & comment. Thanks, we appreciate you!
This post contains affiliate links, which will add no extra cost to you. Thank you if you make a purchase – it will help support our blog! Please see our disclosure policy.